There has been a church on the site of St. Andrew’s Kirk in Glass, Aberdeenshire since 1574 or thereabouts. The parish of Glass was originally in Banffshire until this county was absorbed into Moray and Aberdeenshire in 1974.
The first church was demolished and replaced in 1782 as the old building was becoming uninhabitable. The current church was extended in 1902 when the galleries and floors were removed and the building doubled in size. The magnificent wooden arches supporting the roof and the pillars and arches dividing the new part of the building from the old were also installed during these works.
St. Andrew’s served the parish of Glass until 2007 when it was decided by the Church of Scotland that it should be closed and put up for sale as a potential house conversion. It moved into private ownership in 2010 and was preserved in its pre-sale state until it was transferred to a charitable trust “St. Andrew’s Kirk, Glass – SC050645” early in 2021.
The aims of the trust include the permanent preservation of St. Andrew’s Kirk as a church accessible by the public. We also intend that the building should be open to the public for exhibitions, a meeting place and a centre for research into local history and people.
Information used in this website has been taken from various sources and in particular from “Glass Kirk – St Andrew’s Church, Glass” with kind permission of the author Elizabeth Lawson.
The charity St. Andrew’s Kirk, Glass relies completely on funds donated by you. We do not receive any support from public funds to maintain the kirk.
Insurance and electricity supply are our main costs and insurance for a listed building is not cheap.
Any donation, however small will help.
Donations can be made directly to the charity’s bank account as follows:
Account name: St. Andrew’s Kirk, Glass
Account No.: 40219662
Sort Code: 824000
Bank: Clydesdale Bank
Cheques may be sent to
St. Andrew’s Church
They should be made out to:
St. Andrew’s Kirk, Glass
Online donations may be made via:
This link is working – get out your purse or wallet.