A Brief History of Glass Kirk
The original Glass Kirk was built after the Reformation around 1574 and was dedicated to St Andrew whose name was also perpetuated in St Andrew’s Fair (later called Glass Market) which was held annually, at the end of July, on Glass Market Hill.
1574 Glass Kirk built, Mr Alexander Leslie the minister with Botarie (Cairnie) and Elchies
1585 Glass Kirk becomes a separate charge
1588 United with Rhynie, Essie and Botriphnie
1618 United with Wallakirk
1727 Church declared to be in very good order
1735 Kirk Session Records begin
1767 Church described as a building 56 x 18 feet with a steeple but in an unsatisfactory state through general deterioration on account of the floor being below the level of the churchyard and thus admitting water when it rained … the loft doors made the church extremely cold. Exterior repairs were ordered but seemingly never carried out.
1770 It was decided to build a new church of the same length but 10 feet wider than the original.
1782 New church built ‘contains good accommodation for 550 sitters.’
1841 At the time of the Disruption around 30 dissenters left to form the United Free Church.
1883/4 Church renovated by A&W Reid, Elgin.
1903 Church re-built to its present form with a large extension (£2000).
Architect J. Robertson, Inverness
Mason J. Mitchell, Huntly
Carpenter R. Maclennan, Fortrose
Slater J. Cameron, Glass
Plumber J. Wilson, Huntly
Painter & Glazier A. Robertson, Huntly
Plasterer Hume Brothers, Dufftown
Heating C. Richie & Co, Edinburgh
A bazaar was held in the Stewart’s Hall, Huntly to raise funds.Patrons included HRH Princess Louise, the Duke of Fife and the Duke and Duchess of Richmond and Gordon. It was opened by the Right Honourable J. Lloyd Wharton Mp a frequent visitor to Deveronside during the residence of Sir A.L. Smith, Master of the Rolls, at Beldorney.
1904 The church was reopened.
1933 United with Glass South/United Free
1965 United with Cairnie
1994 United with Huntly
2010 Taken into private ownership
2013 Large areas of the roof repaired and replaced using materials donated by Malcolm Hay of Edinglassie
Slater D. Williams, Dufftown
2020 Charitable status granted SC050645 as St. Andrew’s Kirk, Glass