St. Andrew’s Kirk has a number of memorials in the form of plaques, stained glass windows and the font. The plaques are in memory of previous ministers, benefactors of the church, Sir Frederick Bridge, the Westminster Abbey Organist and war memorials to the sons of local families.
The memorial windows were all designed by Douglas Strachan of Aberdeen. Strachan was educated at Robert Gordon College between 1884 -87 and then Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen followed by studies at Royal Scottish Academy. His first window was for the church of St. Nicholas, Aberdeen. Thereafter his works varied between portraiture and stained glass before settling on the latter.
He was a prolific artist and his reputation grew internationally with windows erected in the Palace of Peace in the Hague and Kalimpong in India and the Scottish National War Memorial. His windows may be seen in numerous churches in England and Scotland and all the stained glass windows in Glass Kirk are by him dating from possibly 1905 to 1915
Further information can be found at: